Saturday, May 9, 2015

Lyme-life must-haves.

I was trying to think of things that I could write about when I don't feel like getting deep or talking about how I feel. And I realized, as I was thinking about it, that I was looking for a way to survive the month of daily blogging. Not survive in a negative way, in the sense that it's not something I want to do and I'm trying to figure out how to just get through it til it's over. But survive in the sense that it takes work. Sometimes it's not easy. Sometimes you don't want to face it, for one reason or another. Sometimes it's exhausting. 

It's kind of like living with Lyme. 

A big part of living with Lyme, or any chronic illness or pain, is figuring out how to keep going no matter what. How to survive it. 

So, I decided I would make a list of my top 5 Lyme-life survival items. These are the things that I have found that make a difference in my tough days.

1. Gatorade--I made a post last year about how to get through summer with Lyme, and I wrote then about Gatorade as well. But, here I am, a year later, and it's still on the list. When I have a headache, I drink Gatorade. When I am shaky, for one reason or another, I drink Gatorade. The other day when I was getting injections at the neurologist, the girl giving the injections told me that because my blood pressure was low already before I got them, and because getting injections lowers your blood pressure too, drinking Gatorade would help with the dizziness and all together blah-ness. Such a multitalented beverage! 

2. Cold patches/headache patches--this is a newly discovered item that I'm not sure how I made it this far without. They're made for kids, to be used when they have a fever. But they were suggested to me by a Lyme friend to use when I have a headache. And, they're great. The only downfall is that they tend to get stuck to your bed sheets and you are sent on a mad-headache-patch-hunt in the morning trying to find it in your bed. 

3. Peppermint essential oil spray--I have a major sensitivity to smell. And I also am super affected by fluorescent lighting. Both of those things make me incredibly nauseous. And peppermint helps nausea. So keeping peppermint essential oil with you is super helpful. I got it in spray form, and the kind I got is safe to be applied directly to your skin as well. I can either spray it so the smell is just around me (which could potentially get weird in public places, but it's nice at home or in the car) or I can spray it on my wrists, and rub it under my nose so the smell is right there for me. (Of course, make sure you check if the kind you get can be applied to your skin without a carrier oil. I wouldn't want you to burn your skin off and then blame me. I mean, I wouldn't want you to burn your skin off at all. But, especially from my suggestion.) 

4. Apps--there are three iPhone apps that I recommend if you're a Lymie. 

The first is "Instant Heart Rate." You place your finger over the camera on the back of your phone and it reads your heart rate. Of course it isn't going to be exact, but it is close enough to be helpful. When I'm feeling like I'm going to pass out, or when my heart feels funny (if you're sick, you know what I mean. It literally feels like your heart is just like, off. Like it's kind of fuzzy and sort of shaky. It's as weird as it sounds.) I can use the app to give myself a general idea of what's going on. I don't use it too often, but it's nice to know its there. 

The second is a period tracker app. The one I use is "period tracker lite" but there are a few others, as well. This one is pretty self explanatory. But, when you're sick and trying to get a comprehensive view of your symptoms and the way your body is (or isn't) functioning, it's helpful to have something to keep track of things for you. Especially when things don't work like they're supposed to. The other day my new primary care doctor suggested it for me and I already have it, but now I'm passing on that suggestion to you. 

The last one I suggest is "Instant BP." Like the heart rate app, it uses your phone's camera. But this one also requires you to hold the bottom of your phone on your chest while also holding your finger over the camera. It's a little more complicated, and it makes your take the case off your phone to use it. But, again, it's nice to know its there when you need it. It's usually the same, or maybe a couple off from the reading you get from an actual blood pressure machine. Pretty accurate, and it's a nice sense of security. 

Now, if you're thinking that these apps are unnecessary, or that they make me a hypochondriac, that's fine. But when you're in a situation when you have to keep track of a million things having to do with your health, and when you have to track a billion numbers and pieces of data about your own body, you'll take all the help you can get from technology. And, more importantly, when your body crashes without any warning, and you need to know what's going on, having the extra security of things like the heart rate and blood pressure apps can make a huge difference. Also, keeping them on your phone means you can casually use them without making a big show with actually machines and things. 

5. A medical bracelet--I know I've mentioned this one before too, but it's my biggest comfort in my chaotic Lyme life. I was with a group of people the other day that were talking about medical alert jewelry being embarrassing or branding you as a sick person. And honestly, I get that, kind of. I know that wearing a bracelet that says "medic alert" on it announces that I have something going on. But, that's the entire point. It's there in case I am in a situation where I can't make it clear what I have and what that means for what I need. If you have a chronic illness, or any kind of extra needs, and don't have a medical bracelet, I would think about getting one. You can find cute ones, if that matters to you. And you can find super inconspicuous ones, too. They can be life savers. Literally. And they add another level of comfort and security that really can help take away a little anxiety. 

So, there you go! My top 5 Lyme essentials. There are other things I could suggest too, but these 5 are the biggest ones, or the ones I use most often. If you're a Lymie, or have a Lymie in your life, and have any other suggestions, please let me know! I'll take any suggestions I can get. 

I hope maybe there's something on this list that you haven't heard of, or haven't thought to try. 

A little help goes a long way in surviving this crazy, sometimes messy, Lyme life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment