Saturday, May 3, 2014

"You're so lucky you can just lay around all day..."

First of all, let me clear something up...very few of my days involve laying around all day. And, just like you I'm sure, on the days that I can do that, I take full advantage of it. But, on the days when you assume that I'm doing nothing, I can guarantee you that I am doing a lot more than you realize. Sure, my days aren't like your days. I don't get up in the morning and go to work. I don't come home after work and clean and make dinner. I don't do the things you do, true. But, I far from lay around all day. I have some weeks that are filled with multiple doctors appointments, tests, etc. I have days when I am trapped by the side effects of new medicines, or symptom filled days when I'm not much use, and those days usually do involve a lot of sleeping. But, those days are not just lazy--I am working every second that I'm breathing to fight back against the bacteria that's eating me alive. When you were little, didn't your mom tell you when you were sick that you needed to rest your body to feel better? That's what I'm doing. I don't get dressed in the morning, go to an office or a classroom, and live my days out the way you do. But I guarantee I am working. 

So, before you tell someone with Lyme that they are so lucky that they get to lay around all day, stop and think. If we could live the life right now that you are, we would switch with you in a heartbeat

No need for sympathy, but there is always a need for understanding. 


1 comment:

  1. I appreciate you allowing me (and others) the opportunity to attempt to understand how life is for you -- and I assure you that I appreciate every "normal" moment/day that I have the opportunity to enjoy. I love you and respect and admire you more than you know. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete