Friday, May 9, 2014

"You're just depressed."

This is a touchy one. 

I am a happy person. I pride myself on the ability to see the little things, and to find sincere joy in those little things. I do my best to wake up every morning and see each day as a new opportunity, and I go to bed every night thankful for the day that I just had because, good or bad, I had another day. I laugh. A lot. To the point sometimes where I'm still laughing hours later at something that happened. I can, without any hesitation, say I love my life. 

But, Lyme is ugly. It's mean. It's vicious, actually. And it has big heavy arms that try and pull you down with it. And sometimes those arms are too strong; sometimes they win. And on those days, you're right...I am depressed. But, by no means is that an every day thing. I think anyone who experiences any kind of chronic illness or chronic pain would be lying if they told you they didn't feel depressed sometimes. 

But, what I am trying to get across with this post is one of those chicken or egg situations. Am I depressed because I'm sick? Or am I sick because I'm depressed? It's a fine line, and I understand why maybe it seems like the latter. 

But that's not the case. 

Of course I have bad days. Of course some days Lyme is stronger than me. 

But, I am sick because I was bitten by a tick. 

And that's all there is to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment