Friday, May 30, 2014

"Okay" guilt.

You know the term "survivors guilt"--the guilt that someone feels when they survive something that takes someone else's life? Well, as someone with a chronic illness I have "okay guilt." Similar idea, but obviously not as severe as survivors guilt. But frustrating and upsetting, nonetheless. 

I don't always feel it. Some days I want to scream it from the rooftops that I am feeling okay. But other days, I'm almost afraid to say it. 

The hardest part for me is when a friend--specifically a Lyme friend--tells me that they are having a bad day. If I'm having a good day, I don't want to rub it in their face that my day is better than theirs. But, at the same time, I want them to tell me about their day, always. No matter if it's good or bad. (So really, I'm a huge hypocrite.) It's a constant struggle between telling them about my good day so that they are reminded that good days can happen even when they are having a bad one, or just keeping my mouth shut and listening about their bad day. I would obviously never tell them I'm having a bad day when I'm not, but I've become a pro at keeping the subject on them so my day doesn't even have to be addressed. The fear of making them feel even worse is constantly there. 

I also struggle with saying that I'm having a good day because I don't want to settle on the idea that how I'm feeling is as good as it's going to get. I'm afraid that if I say I'm having a good day, or that I'm doing okay, when I'm not feeling 100%, that I'm settling with how things are. You know how at the hospital, they ask you how bad the pain is on a scale of 1-10, and you're afraid to say 10 because you don't know if this is actually the worst pain you're ever going to have and you want to save that 10, just in case? I feel the same way about saying I'm okay. If my day is only a 6/10, that is okay in terms of it being better than a 2/10...but I don't want a 6 to be good. I want a 10/10 day. So, saying that a 6/10 day is okay seems like settling. 

So, basically, I'm "okay" impaired. That's what you can take away from this post. But, it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate my okay days...I just am not ready to scream them from the rooftops yet. 

But, if you do hear "I'M OKAYYYYY!" randomly floating through the air anytime soon, you'll know I've figured it all out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment