Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Herxing 101.

In the past, when I've been herxing, I've always just said that I'm feeling extra bad or that I'm reacting to a new medicine. Just because it's easier to explain that way. But, since this month is for awareness, I figured maybe I should go into what herxing actually is.

The word herx is short for Jarish-Herxheimer Reaction. It was named after two people who first wrote about details of the reactions in the early 1900's. Herxing doesn't only happen with Lyme, though. It also occurs with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Tuberculosis, Syphilis, Relapsing Fever, and Candida. And, not even everyone with Lyme experiences herx reactions. Much like everything else Lyme related, it is different for everyone. 

Herxing happens when bacteria die off and a large amount of toxins flood your blood and tissues. (Generally caused by the start of antibiotics or other treatment.) Basically, the body realizes that it's being taken over by the dead bacteria and toxins and it tries to get rid of the bad stuff quicker than it actually can. (You know, like when you see a spider crawling on you, and you freak out and try to get the spider off...but your body can't move as fast as you want it to?) During a herx, the bacteria that is inside of your blood cells is killed off (yay!) but the host cell is killed off at the same time (noooo!). When your cells start to die off, your immune system goes into panic mode and causes a vicious inflammatory response. 

So, basically, lets look at it like this...

There is Lyme hiding in your knee--->You start new treatment--->The bacteria (and cells) die off in your knee--->Your immune system realizes something is up and calls its inflammatory friends over to help attack--->Your knee swells up. 

Similarly, if your Lyme is in your brain at the start of new treatment, your brain will react the same way as your knee did. This causes an increase in neurological symptoms. Bacteria in the heart causes a herx reaction that includes cardiac symptoms. Bacteria in the lungs causes a herx that includes respiratory symptoms. Etc.

The hardest part of a herx is trying to figure out if what you're feeling is actually a herx, an allergic reaction to the new medication, or just an increase in symptoms that just happened to correspond to the start of a new medicine. (Yes, it's as confusing as it sounds.) There are some symptoms that generally go along with a herx, though, that can kind of help you pinpoint what is going on. Also, timing is key--a herx generally starts a day or two after starting a new medicine.

Again, a herx is different for everyone, but these symptoms are pretty common across the board...

-increased fatigue
-increased joint or muscle pain
-skin rashes (In my case, I get splotchy red rashes, and open sores on my scalp.)
-irritability (I am a redhead, so irritability is pretty much the norm in my every day life...but, it is definitely worse when I'm herxing.)
-extreme dizziness (I feel like I am floating above whatever I'm sitting/lying on.)
-sleep disturbances 
-muscle cramps 
-night sweats (I sometimes wake up and wonder if I sleep-swam.)
-migraines
-swollen glands 
-metallic taste in the mouth (I don't get metallic, but I do sometimes feel like I'm eating a sharpie.)
-chills
-nausea
-fevers
-heart palpitations (Sometimes I feel like my heart is going to flutter out of my chest)
-bone pain
-mental confusion (...what?)

Of course, that just scrapes the surface, but it kind of gives a general overview of the weird world of herxing. So now you know. When I tell you that I'm feeling bad after I start a new medicine, this is what is going on. And, even though it sounds rough (and don't get me wrong, it is rough), it's not all a bad thing. Herxing means that something is happening. It means the antibiotics are reaching the bacteria. And, in order to get better, things have to happen; bacteria has to die. 

So, each herx may feel like a million steps back, it really is a step in the right direction. A weird, bumpy, uncomfortable step in the right direction...but a step nonetheless. 


2 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic explanation of Herxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea. You explain it well. Think of how many people you are helping.

    ReplyDelete