Sunday, May 4, 2014

"My dog had Lyme once..."

This is a good one. Usually followed up by "but he's fine now." or the occasional "and now he's dead." Both of which are equally comforting. 

Before we go any further, I'm very sorry to hear about your dog! Truly, I am. I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone, including your dog. My dog actually has Lyme, too. We found out about a year ago now, I guess. I secretly think he just wanted to be more like me. 

But, while I am sorry about your dog, it doesn't make me feel any better. My dog has had a cold before, too. But, I try and avoid going around telling people who have colds that my dog shares their struggle. It doesn't help them, and it would make me look a little silly. 

You know what else is frustrating about the whole dog Lyme situation? My dog got a positive blood test right away. Literally within minutes of having his blood taken. The vet took the blood, tested it right there, and prescribed him pain medicine. Now, if you read my Lyme story on day 1 of this month, you would have an understanding of the struggle that comes along with getting a Lyme diagnosis and treatment for humans. (And if you haven't read it, go read it right now! Ready, go!) But not for dogs! I had to hold myself back from asking the vet if I could share Hershey's pain pills. 

So, even though this one is a little lighter and less hurtful than the others, it's still something you should try to avoid. If you can't relate in any other way, that's fine! But maybe ask a question instead. Or we don't even have to talk about Lyme! Don't ever feel like you have to say something to me, or any of your other Lymie friends/family about Lyme. I would much rather talk about just about anything other than your dog having Lyme. 


No comments:

Post a Comment