Saturday, May 13, 2017

Hope--survival key #8

#8: hope

This one may be post #8, but it would be #1 if you asked me to list them in order of importance. A dog is a close second. Of course.

Let's talk about something serious for a minute. It's a sensitive conversation to have. But it's an important one.

Suicide is a leading cause of death in people with Lyme disease. Lyme is a long, life-altering, devastating, debilitating, crazy illness. It's lonely. It's confusing. And it can sometimes feel hopeless. Lyme also takes over your brain, alters your thoughts without your control, and leaves you feeling emotions that don't make sense. When there are bugs in your brain, your brain is no longer yours. And that can sometimes have devastating consequences. 

The key is to hold onto hope. 

Sure, I've felt hopeless. Of course I've felt defeated. I've laid on an operating table and told the doctor that I didn't want to do it anymore. I've even written here about the emotional and psychological effects that Lyme has on me. But I am, so fortunately, always able to bring hope back to the top. 

There is a Latin phrase that really brings this one home for me. "Dum spiro, spero" means "while I breathe, I hope." And that pretty much sums it up in one phrase better than I could in a million words. 

There may not be a lot going my way. There may not be a lot of progress. There may not be a lot that feels positive. But there is always hope somewhere. 

And, as long as I am breathing, I will always find it. And I sincerely hope you can, too.

1 comment: