Saturday, May 5, 2018

Lyme month day 5–Awareness Months

Let’s take a break from talking just about me and talk about awareness months for a minute. 

Stop what you’re doing and hear me out, will you?

I know you’re tired of scrolling through the graphics of “crazy symptoms you shouldn’t ignore” while you’re just trying to get to the crazy cat videos on your Facebook newsfeed. But, when your friend feels validated and brave enough to share those graphics during the awareness month dedicated to her illness, maybe those cat videos can wait?

I know you’re tired of seeing your other friend change her profile picture twelve times this month. But maybe you could look past it if you realized she was just trying to make sure the awareness ribbon on the frame filter didn’t cover her mom’s face on the best picture she has to remember her by? 

I know you’re tired of that girl from high school who’s posting all the time this month about the symptoms she missed. Maybe you’ll thank her one day when you remember her post and get to the doctor fast enough? 

I know you’re tired of the videos that seem a “little too dramatic” about the boy whose life was turned upside down by an illness that he never saw coming. Maybe you won’t just scroll by it when it’s someone you love? Maybe you’ll even share it? 

I know it’s easy to forget the importance of awareness months if you aren’t directly affected. I know you think there are too many. I know you think “I can’t care about everything.” 

I’ve heard it all. 

I also thought I didn’t need to care about anything. Until I did. 














No comments:

Post a Comment