Monday, December 5, 2016

Thoughts on gallbladder surgery--1 week later.

I had my gallbladder removed one week ago today. I have a lot of feelings. I don't miss it. I never really had a relationship with it, per say. I didn't even think about it until a couple years ago when it started causing trouble. For being such a little thing it sure did cause a lot of trouble, though. And, in true annoying gallbladder fashion, it sure has been quite a painful week recovering from it's exodus from my body.

Let's start this one-week-recap with why I had to say goodbye to my gallbladder, shall we? Most people who have their gallbladder removed have it removed due to gallstones. I didn't have stones. In my case, my gallbladder basically stopped functioning. When it was tested, it was functioning at 2%. When my doctor saw that number, she laughed (and then apologized for laughing), high-fived me, and told me I had the record for the worst number she'd ever seen. (So, yay me?) The low gallbladder function was due to the muscles around it not working to let it do its job. The muscles weren't working because of, you guessed it, my Lyme. I started having gallbladder symptoms around 2 years ago. It was scanned for stones and then ignored. Two months ago, real action was taken on it, and that's when it was discovered that it needed to go and it needed to go now. Bringing us to where we are today!

So, one week ago I went in for surgery. I had a recommendation for a great surgeon. I felt totally comfortable with him. And he was super cute. (Not actually relevant, but definitely a perk.) The anesthesiologist understood, and actually told me, that since I'm a redhead I was going to require more anesthesia. And, after waking up during a previous surgery, that was super comforting to hear. I went into the operating room with her, one super sweet nurse, and then met another super sweet nurse inside the operating room. They switched me over to the operating table, started covering me up with blankets (which left me wondering how they were going to reach my stomach to get my gallbladder but I figured I would be asleep and it wouldn't matter to me then) and then my dr came in. They put the pumps on my legs so I wouldn't get blood clots during surgery, I heard them counting and double counting the tools they were going to be using, and then the anesthesiologist started giving me some medicine. I told her I was really nauseous. She told me that was normal for redheads at this point and she gave me another medicine for nausea. Then she put an oxygen mask on me. And next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.

The first thing I remember is asking for my mom. I may be 26 but I always want my mom when I wake up from surgery. They told me I just had to stay in recovery for a little longer and then I could go see my mom. They offered me water and graham crackers and that sufficed. Sorry, mom. I just really like graham crackers. ;) They told me I was really good at waking up, which I'm always told after surgery. I guess it's good to be good at something, huh?! So they took me on to where my mom was. Once I was there they told me I could go home once I was able to pee. So I went home pretty soon after that and don't remember much of the rest of that evening.

I'm one week into this recovery journey and when people ask me how I'm feeling I say I'm feeling okay. But if you want to know for real I feel like I have been hit by a truck and also stabbed in the abdomen by five ice picks. It feels like the ice picks randomly are pulled out and stabbed back in. And it feels like the truck randomly comes back and backs over me. It feels like what I assume an intense core workout would feel like. (Let's be honest, I've never done an intense core workout in my life.) And it feels like there's a fire inside of my stomach that is just constantly smoldering. Some days feel a little better and some days feel a little worse. And that's okay. I'm still healing. I'm not even allowed to drive yet. I can't lift anything over 10lbs. If I were working I'd still have one more week that I wasn't allowed to work. And I still have a special diet for at least 3 more weeks. I'm one week into this recovery journey and I'm trying my best not to push it.

The last week has been trying. It's been painful. It's been exhausting. It's taught me how much you use your abdominal muscles for things you never would have thought of. It's made me really appreciate my bed. It's made me really appreciate the short distance between my bed and my bathroom. It's made me realize that I push myself more than I should and that it really is okay to rest and let myself heal. It's made me remember that it's okay to cry. It's made me angry that Lyme has done this to me. But it's made me thankful that someone finally took it seriously. It's made me thankful that there was an answer to the gallbladder pain. But it's also made me frustrated that I'm having to go through all of this pain to get to the fix. It's made me anxious to see what the end result is. It's also made me anxious because my next Lyme treatment starts at the end of this recovery. It's made my hopeful. But it's also made me feel helpless as I watch people have to do things for me. It's brought about a lot of emotions. But I'm thankful to be able to feel them.

Peace out, gallbladder.

No comments:

Post a Comment